"Like most build industries, it is easy to low-ball a quote. Separate the end user from the product (ie- through a developer or builder) and that is the tendency - to bid low.
Here’s how it is done:
- use junk for heat pumps: single speed, no warranty, single-walled exchanger, piston compressor, and the list goes on.
- shortcuts on materials: no insulation, low quality circulation pumps, no valves, wrong materials.
- shortcuts on labour: unlicensed trades, inexperienced installers, cash sales.
- no design – yes, somehow this can still be done.
- short looping – goes with the fact you did not have a design to begin with.
- no accountability: hiding behind the fact you don’t have an educated client sometimes or the time period is such the installer is long gone before issues are noted.
We at ACES-Energy have come in contact with this over the past several years in the Rochester and Finger Lakes region! Many times, the lowest bidder is awarded the job but the results are far from the customer's expectations! In the end, it actually will cost the customer more as repairs can be expensive! Many of our customers receive multiple quotes and we warn them to compare the quotes "Apples to Apples" to be sure the same equipment is being installed. The proposal and installation is more than just the geothermal heat pump. It starts with the details of the design, the loop field installation, indoor piping installation (PVC? We hope not!), flow center, controls, ductwork, removal of existing equipment, owner/operator training, warranty, insulation, buffer tank, companies insurance and finally, is the person who sold you the job a salesman on commission or the one that will: write the proposal, do the design, order the material, install the system, service the system and answer their phone regardlress of the day or time? We at ACES-Energy pride our selves as who visits you at your home are also in the field doing the installation! Why would we take a shortcut when we would just be the ones being called back to fix it??